Sunday, October 08, 2006

Feeling Cool, Feeling Sick

Terry's wedding was last Friday. It was a real fun time but I had to bow out earlier than I thought I would. It also sounds like I missed some fun times at Neo and someone's apartment above a Starbucks.

The snakes decided to meet at the Lion's Pub before the ceremony, since it was practically next door to St. Alphonsus. I arrived a little late since I underestimated how long of a walk it was from my place. I wanted to take my bike but didn't know if that was such a great idea since I was wearing a suit. When I got to the Pub, Molly and Ben were already there. As the ceremony neared, more snakes showed up and it was great to see us all dressed up very nice.

St. Alphonsus is a pretty big church and it was very pretty inside. The altar area had brown carpet which reminded me of my childhood chuch, Church of the Holy Spirit, in Schaumburg. Because it was a Catholic wedding, the ceremony was quite long although not as long as I was expecting. Terry couldn't stop smiling and Paul said he saw Terry's knees buckle when he first got a glimpse of Wendy entering the church in her wedding dress. She looked very pretty. There was even a part of the ceremony that those that wanted to could go a receive communion, which I found odd. But it didn't stop me from going up there to get my wafer. Levin read the first reading and he looked great. Bill arrived late, of course, and looked rather ragged. He later went home to change and when he came back he looked super awesome in a suit. POB was there too and he biked there.

After the ceremony we went to Mickey's for some drinks while we waited for Salvatore's to open for the reception. He caught the Mickey's staff off-guard since they had only just opened and had yet to get ice from the ice machine. I watched the Twins get eliminated from the playoffs. I talked to Krissy, wife of Terry's college roommate Doug. Later at the reception Krissy introduced me to Kristen, wife of Terry's other college roommate, Dave. I was happy to talk to people other than my close knit circle. I was super hungry since I forgot to eat lunch so I had some cheesesticks at Mickey's.

Salvatore's was nice and all of us snakes were at the same table. We were the only table to start the wedding reception tradition of dining our glasses to make the new couple kiss. The best man and maid of honor's speeches were really nice. The food was good and somehow I found myself with three glasses of wine in front of me at once. I hardly sipped them because I was already tipsy and not feeling well. I drank a lot of water. At one point a piece of lettuce went down the wrong pipe and I started coughing. I coughed so hard that I gave myself a big headache, which was a little weird. After dinner we went to the room with the dance floor. We all had to wait for the first songs before we could dance, so the snakes sat down at a couple of the tables just to the side of the dance floor. We all looked super cool in our suits and dresses.

Terry's and Wendy's first dance was nice. Then the bride and the bride's father danced. Then it was the dance for the groom and the groom's mother. After that, the dance floor was open to everyone. The DJ played some great hits and I quickly danced up a sweat. For a good two hours I was fine. Then my stomach started to get gasy from all the wine. It was to the point that I got concerned that I might have to throw up. So I decided to leave the party early and go home to sleep it off. I felt the party at 11pm, by which time many others had left for home too. However, I really wanted to dance and party until the sun came up so it was disappointing that I would be missing some fun memories with the snakes. I took a cab home, took 2 Advil gel-caps, and fell alseep rather easily. I woke up the next morning feeling fine.

I learned later on in the day what I missed. After the crew closed Salvatore's, then went to Neo, some goth dance club. They said it was fun to stand out from all the goth people that were there. After Neo, some went to some party at an apartment that is above Starbucks on Clark and Belmont.

---

Saturday was filled with a rehearal that went well, a date that went so-so, a birthday party was that fun, a reunion of sorts that was great, multiple times waiting for the Red Line that was boring, a porch party that was fun, running into girls of the past that were awkward, eating pizza, watching Freaks & Geeks, and falling asleep in my clothes while watching the show in the wee hours of the morning.

No comments: