Sunday, October 12, 2008

Door County

Eagle Tower View

I just got back from Door County, Wisconsin. For those that don't know, Door County is the peninsula between Green Bay (the actual bay, not the city) and Lake Michigan. Before my family moved to Florida from the Chicago suburbs, we vacationed once a year in Door County. We had done this 3 or 4 times before the move. Usually we visited this part of Wisconsin on Columbus Day weekend since Illinois schools got Columbus Day off. I'm not sure if they still do these days.

My parents decided to visit Door County this Columbus Day weekend and I decided to rent a car and join them for a day. I drove up yesterday morning and "made good time" as my dad said when I arrived in the afternoon. While I was there, we revisited places we went to every time we visited Door County; which we found to be 15 years ago after we did the math. We went to a fish boil at the White Gull Inn and had breakfast at Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant. We also shopped in the quaint villages of the area: Sister Bay, Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, etc. I got some delicious coconut and chocolate fudge and we drove into Peninsula State Park to check out the trees with their brilliant fall colors. It was a good trip and it was nice to see my parents again this year.

No comments: