Sunday, July 13, 2008

Two Saturday Parties

Farewell Dayna & Jon

I went to two parties yesterday.

One was a backyard BBQ/party that was thrown to celebrate multiple CSz birthdays this week. To paraphrase, it was called the "Tamara, Megan, and Tara and NOT Rene have birthdays party." Rene decided to have his birthday party separate from the group. The backyard was Tamara's and it a great backyard; very spacious and grassy. Great for games like cornhole and donkey balls. I showed up way too early but I had a good time. I even took a nap during it to recharge. The grilled food was good, too. I had a come from behind victory against Tamara in donkey balls and I mopped the floor with Natalie in cornhole. Later I was part of a 4-person donkey ball team that towards the end eroded into a two-person team. We were beaten by the other team.

Towards the end of this party there was a pretty fun game of movie-title mash-ups. It involved giving the synopsis of two movies as if they were one movie. Then the guessers would have to guess the movies, which involved a bit of "Wheel of Fortune" Before & After category finesse. For instance, one that I came up with: "what's that movie where Gregory Peck defends a black man for a crime he didn't commit while Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn get into mischief?" "To Kill A Mockingbird on a Wire." Get it? It's "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Bird on a Wire" mashed together because they share the same last/first word. In all honesty, my clue wasn't as coherent as it appears on this blog. And those of you that read this blog are probably reader's of Arnie's blog, and he's already summarized this game better than I.

The second party was a farewell party for my friend Dayna. I've known Dayna since our early days in college. We were in the same college improv group. She joined it, I believe, 6 months after I joined the group. She also moved to Chicago 6 months after I moved to Chicago. So our journeys through life has been sort of similar up until this point. Her improv experience in Chicago was a little rougher than mine and she'd been itching to move to NYC for some time. She'd been delayed by this horrible housing market. Luckily she got a profit on her condo and is moving to Astoria Queens. She's super happy to move and I'm super excited for her. I hope she was tons of awesome things happen to her in New York. Luckily I won't have to wait too long before seeing her again when PennyBear goes to NYC for the Fringe Festival. Her party was at Holiday Club and though when I arrived the gather was small, it quickly gathered steam and mass as the night wore on.

All in all, it was a pretty fun day.

No comments: