Thursday, July 02, 2009

Hipster Indifference

Hipster Indifference

I got my friend Mikaela's prank letter (above) in the mail today. I first heard about this from my friend Marla back at the outdoor Dirty Projectors concert at the Pitzker Pavilion. Marla pulled out a letter she received in the mail. It was simply a picture of some weird, ugly person; the type of picture probably only found on odd Google searches. She had no idea who it was from. I asked to see the envelope's stamp - the USPS puts a stamp over these indicating which zip code the letter was mailed from. In this case it was 60606, which is the same zip code my work's building is in. I told Marla the person who sent it was probably working down in the Loop. This produced a light bulb above Marla's head: Mikaela.

Mikaela apparently has been doing this prank quite a bit lately. She's done similar things to a number of our mutual friends. About a week later I ran into her at a Chipotle near my work and told her about finding about her weird pranks. She's bored at work sometimes and likes doing it.

It was only a matter of time, I guess, before I got mine in the mail. And it made me smile and feel included.

No comments: