Monday, November 06, 2006

Handle With Care

As I slowly approach 30 I'm noticing some changes in my body.

I've finally hit puberty!!!

No. Not really. I kid. What I mean is that I've noticed that my body is breaking down like a product that's past its warranty. People told me that my metabolism would slow down eventually, probably around 30, and I just laughed. "I'm gonna be young forever. It'll be around 40 or 50 that I start to actually age." Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.

I still have a high metabolism, but I have noticed that it's not as ridiculously high as it usually is. I've gained weight in the last year. Like 15 to 20 pounds which for me is crazy. I'm not too terribly out of shape but I'm still out of shape. I should probably start trying to get in shape before my metabolism slows down even more. Prevention is better than playing keep up I figure.

I should be doing sit-ups. And push-ups. Maybe some pull-ups. All the "-ups." Stretches: yeah, that's a good idea too. Yoga? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Remember that one time where I tried to start doing yoga? Did that last? No, it didn't me. But using my bike more often and maybe, just maybe easing into some running would be good too. That's probably all I could handle at this point.

This issue was forced into my mind or more accurately, brought into sharpe focus, this past Friday. I had just put my coat and messenger bag on in the morning. I was ready to head to work. Then I raised my right arm up - why, I don't even remember - and left my right shoulder muscle says "oh no you don't" and decides to pull itself out of place. Ouch!

At first I thought maybe all it would take to right itself was a nice stretch to crack the bones. No such luck. I took Advil and went to work but by the time I arrived at the office I was in real pain. I couldn't focus on work it was so bad. I told my boss about it and he let me go home super early. I think I made it until 9:15am before I had to bow out of work.

This past weekend was all about sleep and Advil. I feel better but I'm still not 100% recovered. My lower right side of my neck is still stiff. It feels like all it needs is a good cracking and then all will be better. But I won't attempt to force it to crack for fear of hurting my neck even more. When I rotate my neck in a circle, my neck crackles a lot. I've got more crackling than a camp fire at this point.

No comments: