Saturday, August 08, 2009

Lolla 2009 Day 1

Ben Folds

Lolla day 1 notes:

Got to the gates around 12:30pm and met up with Marla. It just started raining at 11am and was pretty steady by the time I arrived at Grant Park. I had an umbrella so we were fine.
Umbrella Jon & Marla

Zap Mama no show; but ran into Natalie and her friends Ali & Camelia. Decided to all be concert buddies for the rest of Lollapalooza. We all went to UF, too.

The Builders & the Butchers
The Builders & the Butchers - pretty great. Loved the two dudes on drums at once, side by side.

The Gaslight Anthem - didn't care for them.
Heartless Bastards - sounded good but wasn't really listening because we were talking to people who just joined us.
Kidzapalooza - rumor that Leann Rhimes was there. Went there, didn't see her, left. Found out about an hour later that she indeed eventually showed up.

Ben Folds 2
Ben Folds - good show but I guess it was mostly new stuff. I didn't know much of it but those that did seemed to be having a great time.

Fleet Foxes - their harmonies were sort of lulling me to sleep. I'm sure I'll like their stuff but I was not in the right mood for their sound.

The Decemberists 6
The Decemberists - great show. Will get their new album. Loved the song with five drum kits being played at once on stage. Rain finally stopped just after their show.

Food - super short lines for most of the day.
Of Montreal - didn't really listen to them - looking for bathrooms and more food.
Depeche Mode - boring show. Knew only a couple songs and the rest were boresville. Very little talking to the audience. Kind of just going through the paces.

So I stayed until the end and wandered around Michigan Ave trying to find a bus that would take me close to home. A very long and damp first day but good. Not great, but good. Average I'd say.

No comments: