Friday, March 07, 2008

Comedy Sportz

I've been doing shows at Comedy Sportz for a little over half a year now. The shows are a lot of fun and improving there is a fun challenge. Doing short form exercises different improv muscles than long form. You have to almost always be hitting your stride in short form if you want to win over the audience. I don't mean be crazy emoting guy, but just be "on," attacking the scene, constantly making strong and bold choices in the scenes.

I'm weak at singing and rhyming, but I'm really pushing myself to get better at both of them. I'm getting better, but in baby steps. Just last weekend I had one of my worst shows ever. I wasn't making strong choices and I was getting eliminated early in elimination type games. And both the owner and the artistic director were there for the show. But on positive about that show was that I finally truly felt comfortable during Da Do Run Run; I was thinking of rhymes easier and faster. The very next day I captained the red team and had one of the most fun shows I've ever had there. We really brought our A-games that day. We even did a pretty good job in the game called Audience & Hammerstein ("Hello, I'm Chocolate.")

I got to play in the first show at the new space. It was one of the two Friends & Family shows. I got to play in the second half of the show. The show was probably THE BEST show I've been apart of there. The first half crews were on fire. The second half crews were also bringing it. I played Word From Our Sponsor for the first time in a show and it was great.

Rehearsals are also fun, though there isn't much stage time since the ensemble has about 40 people in it. Here's a picture of some people having fun during rehearsal:

No comments: