Thursday, March 20, 2008

Felt

Nathan
Above is Nathan, he's the puppet I puppeteer in the show Felt. In a few months we'll celebrate our 2-year anniversary of doing the show at iO. I'll go ahead and plug the show for any strangers that somehow come across this blog.

every Wednesday night at 8pm
iO's Del Close Theater (the upstairs stage)
3541 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL
tickets are $5

The show begins with an opening improv group of humans. Then we take a short break to set up the puppet stage with our black curtain to hide the puppeteers. Metallica's "Enter the Sandman" plays for our intro and then Nathan gets the suggestion. I'm not really certain how it always fell to me to get the suggestion, but it's set now and I'm not going to question it. I imagine when I'm not there for the show, that Cesar/Jesse probably gets the suggestion.

With puppets, the laughs are easier to get. As such, we really have to remind ourselves that we don't have to do too much to be funny. If we try too hard or overanalyze the scene then it becomes too much. So it's good to be able to dial it down and slow the scene down a bit.

No comments: