Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Hitch in Winterizing

Festival Passes

Today was an orientation meeting for the upcoming 2009 SketchFest. It was pretty much the same as last year's orientation meeting but in the South stage instead of being in the North stage.

While listening to the organizers talk about specifics, I decided to get a picture of the meeting for this blog. As I was taking a picture, Brian Posen called me out for taking a picture. I turned to Martin Wilson, who was sitting next to me, as if he did it. Martin pointed me out for all to see. I'm hoping those there thought that his pointing to me made people think it was actually him.

The real story is about my wipe out on my bike as I was on my way to the theater. I was biking down Roscoe and as I turned to go south on Racine, my bike slid out from under me as I tried to turn through a slushy part of the street, and I fell down sort of hard on the asphalt. My bike slid a good 6 feet away from me. And my phone popped out of my messenger bag holder. Afraid for my bike, which was in the middle of the intersection, I quickly sprang back up. "Are you all right?" asked a man in his car which was stopped at the stop sign on Racine. "Yeah, I'm fine" I said in a manly voice that surely showed how tough I was. A lady in car stopped at a stop sign on Roscoe leaned out of her window and asked "are you sure you're okay." "Yeah, I'm sure," this time said in a slightly embarrassed tone.

I've been biking around this city a lot and this was the first time I was thrown off my bike. I thought me and the street had a pretty cool relationship. I trusted the street and felt safe and fine in taking corners at high speeds. Now I'm a little wary of the street. I'm not so cocksure about taking corners in the wintertime.

Look At Me!

P.S. My right hip and right forearm are a little bruised. My helmet also protected my head in the fall. My head didn't hit the street all that hard, but the point is that I did hit my head and the helmet protected me.


No comments: