Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Why is it so Cold?

Snowflakes

I did Armando last night. I showed up at the theater to get a bag out of the Felt cabinet for my Christmas travels and got talked into sitting in with the cast since they had so little people for the show. Because of this I felt the impetus to volunteer myself for the monologist.

I've taken a thing Shad Kunkle does when he does the monologues. He asks the audience to ask him a question about himself that they might want to know. It's a great way to jump into the monologues. Instead of asking for a personal question, I ask for any generic question. The question I got was "Why is it so cold?"

So almost all of my monologues where about being in the cold weather or dealing with things of that nature. I also had on these huge moon boots because I had come straight from a rehearsal which I had gotten to straight from work. (I keep my work shoes at work and I left my regular shoes at home) So I talked about my moon boots, too.

The cool thing about being the monologist of Armando is that you really don't have to be funny. The players who riff off of your monologues have to be funny. I'm sure it would help the show as a whole if you could deliver monologues that were also funny, but I don't have that power. Some of my monologues were funny but definitely not all. I wish I was at the place were I could give funny monologue after funny monologue but I'm not. I'm no Mike Birbiglia, that's for sure. And that's why I don't do stand-up.

No comments: