Friday, June 19, 2009

ComedySportz RACE

Tuesday night instead of a normal CSz rehearsal, we had Comedysportz RACE, which was basically The Amazing RACE but at CSz. And the invitation went out to anyone involved at all with any show currently at CSz (Battleprov, Rec Leagues, reserve players, Black Out, People in your Neighborhood, uniFormless, the ensemble, etc) and the groups would be a mix of people you don't know. So when I showed up I was given my name tag and assigned to group B. Most group were a pretty good mix of people, but my group was made of three ensemble members; Kate, Jess, and me.

Sam Super was the organizer of this event and he created 10 rounds of challenges what we had to get past. The first group to get all 10 would get a nice prize. The challenges were pretty good. When we finally found our first clue, it had a name and a date on it. Kate's smart phone had better reception than mine (sorry AT&T, it's true; you guys suck) and we found that the unknown dude was the inventor of the microwave. To the microwave!

Once there, we found our first round challenge: one of the group had to go to the stairwell and try to remember as much customization info as possible. All around the stairwell were pieces of paper, each with one customization note. The challenge person would then have to run backstage and answer 3 random questions asked by Mike Enriquez. If you got one wrong, you had to go back and try again - but once you came back, you weren't guaranteed to be asked the same questions. Kate got them right on the third try and it was onto the next clue, which was a ticket for a show. To the box office!

At the box office our challenge was again a solo challenge. One of us had to go in the theater area and count how many reserved seats there were for a show. Each table had a number on it - be it 0 or 11. After counting in my head (I decided to do this one) I had to race downstairs and tell Monty the number I thought it was. I was wrong! Back upstairs to recount! I finally got it on the third try.

Other challenges were just like this. One was to find the number of animals on a mosaic on a building 4 blocks over. Another was how many E's are on the Playground Theater's wall next to the bus turn-around. Another was the number of green awning on our block of Belmont Ave. One was to create a show line-up based on certain parameters. One really hard challenge involved a code board that took us and many groups tens of minutes to figure out. The challenge in the bar was to stack up plastic cups into a pyramid with the base level having 11 cups.

It was a lot of fun and exhausting. I did most of the running since I felt like I needed to out of gentlemanly feeling - outside it was pouring rain. By the end of the night I was pretty well soaked. In the end we got 5th place - out of 14 groups. Not bad.

After you were done you could stay and party, which many people did. I stayed for a bit but left well before the party got warmed up. So I missed most of the fun that FB pictures documented, but at least I was home, dry, and in bed early to catch up on some missed sleep.

No comments: