Monday, June 15, 2009

The Ditty Bops show

Ditty Bops & Me

I went to the Ditty Bops show at the Old Town School of Folk Music. I had heard that their live shows are awesome and mix in vaudeville and other theater elements into their music presentations. Apparently that's what it was like when they came through Chicago a couple years ago during their bike-across-America-with-all-their-gear-and-their-full-band tour. But the show I saw was just the two girls sitting in chairs and playing their songs. So basically like most music concerts. A little disappointing but what we got was also a delight.

They sounded great live and I really liked some of their new songs. They didn't do too much banter between songs but when they did it was great and super cute. And during one banter moment we the audience got a peek into their private lives - when Amanda (the tall one) mentioned how Abby (the shorter one) almost didn't go out with Amanda on their first date because Amanda picked their first date to be at a Renaissance fair. They also spoke about what the songs were about or what inspired them to write the songs. This, combined with their songs, was quite inspiring and I left the building feeling like I should create my own work of art.

No comments: