Monday, May 26, 2008

End of Rattlesnake?

Rattlesnake High School

This weekend Rattlesnake High School found out that we were cut from the iO schedule.  This came as a complete surprise to all of us.  We knew the iO Commission was looking at our shows but we never took the threat seriously.  We (I) believed that Charna liked us and that the show quality level of our shows was vastly superior to most teams' output lately.  Our shows lately have been really good and we've been pretty darn consistent on top of it.  I thought we were showing students in the training center just what you could do with a Harold.  In terms of good, quality improv that was also entertaining, I thought we were in the top 3 of teams at iO.

We know most of the people on the iO Commission and most of them say they were on our side.  This means some of them are lying big time.  I hate to think these thoughts.

I really don't get the decision.  We're consistent.  We're dedicated.  We have good attendance.  The audience loves our shows.  Students love our team.  We're funny.  We do smart improv and we do good acting scenes.  We're not some team that does non-stop bits.  We're not a team that does sloppy, goof-around improv.  I just don't get it.

~~~

The new schedule came out Sunday night.  We only got 48 hours to process this and maybe try to change some minds.  Other teams knew about this way in advance.  Did they wait this long to tell us so that we'd have no time to change people's minds?  I hate having these thoughts.

I'm on a newly formed team at iO.  I should be grateful for that.  I could have been cut completely from the schedule.  But it's not the same.

I've been on Rattlesnake for over 3 years.  The team itself has been around for 5 years.  It's a big chapter in our lives.  I need time to grieve.  Or possibly not accept the termination of the team and perhaps champion the idea of keeping Rattlesnake together?  I know so many other teams have said that in the past too.  And they meant it too but never stayed together after they were cut from iO.  I don't know what's going to happen.  I've just got to take this day by day.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Ugh, I am so upset you guys got cut. You've been one of my fave teams for a long time. It's easy to see what a strong bond you guys have:)