Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Motion Detectors

Bus Door Horizontal

I was restless after CSz rehearsal last night and I didn't want to do what I normally do when I go home at night. Namely I didn't want to play poker on facebook. I didn't want to sit around at home. It had just rained and I wanted to be out and about but also be alone. I decided to run an errand and go up to Rogers Park and sign a form for the NYC Fringe Festival. So went home, grabbed my iPod, and got on the Clark bus. There's just something I find tranquil in riding public transit, listening to my music, and watching the city go by through the window.

I wasn't really able to do this on the way north because the bus was packed with Cubs fans since the Cubs game had just ended. But I was able to do this on the way back south. During this tranquil period, I noticed that the new modern CTA buses are really well designed. There's ample room, adequate bars for standing passengers to grab a hold of, and the chair are thin yet rigid which allows for more seating. The windows on the side are very large which allows for good views of the city and the method of opening then in the case of an emergency is super easy. The outside sign on the front is large and well lit, which allows for better visibility to those on the street to see which number bus is coming. The front entrance is larger than older buses, and it allows for two lines to form; those with plastic cards to the right and those with The Chicago Card Plus to the left. The equipment that tracks where the bus is and announces the next stop does so very well and with enough warning for you to pull the cord to signal you'd like to get off and for the bus driver to pull to the stop without having to put on the brakes hard. The bus has a back window, which I'm sure helps the driver (older models didn't have a back window). The bus's maneuverability also seems improved and the acceleration on it seems pretty good. The handicap ramp is super improved; the bus's front hydraulics are pretty amazing in that it can lower the front of the bus down to almost level with the curb and then the handicap ramp just flips out and Presto! the wheelchair can get on the bus with much ease. This process is also pretty fast, a great improvement to the old system.

And then I noticed the back door mechanism. The door indicates for you to place your hand on the yellow strips to open the door. I noticed that just above these yellow strips are motion detectors; that's how the door knows to unlock itself and allow you to open it! Genius.


No comments: