Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Build-A-Bike Class 1

I had my first Build-A-Bike class on Sunday.  The instructor, Alex, has us introduce ourselves and tell the group how we heard about the class and what we want to get out of it.  There are 8 people in the class including myself.  I heard of the class through a friend and I told them that what I want to get out of the class is the ability to repair my bike by myself and not feel like a total idiot when I go to bike shops.  The Alex went over the history of West Town Bikes and the programs it's involved in.  Then we went over the names for the parts of the bike.  After that we went over the different tool we'll be using throughout the class.  Alex stressed that single purpose tool are better than multi-purpose tools.

Since most of the first class was just discussion and talking, we didn't get much actual work with our bikes, but Alex assured us that we'll get plenty of bike work in the coming weeks.  The things that we did do with our bikes, however, were to take off our pedals, chains, and cables.  We get to store our bikes at the shop during the course of the class, and we get a bucket to put all our parts in.

It was a nice first class and I'm eager to learn more about my bike.

No comments: