Sunday, June 15, 2008

Second Build-A-Bike Class

Bottom Bracket

In week 2, we learned about bottom brackets on bikes.  Bottom brackets allow you to pedal your bike.  They have small ball bearings in there that allow the cranks to spins in a nice smooth fashion.  Older bikes usually have adjustable bottom brackets.  Newer bikes have cartridge bottom brackets.  Everybody else in the class had adjustable bottom brackets while I had a cartridge type.  Because of this I finished way before the others because I didn't have to fiddle with the fit of the bottom brackets.  Though I did learn some neat terms, like "click and crunch."  My road bike also has a cartridge bottom bracket so at least when it comes time for me to work on my road bike, I've got the experience of removing and installing cartridge bottom brackets to my bike.

Next week we work on headsets.

No comments: