Friday, August 17, 2007

Lollapalooza - Day 1


Once I got into the park I was much happier. My festival buddy, Marla, was already there and she was at Electric Six's show. I couldn't find her so instead I situated myself behind the audio tent and put on sun block. When I was applying sun block to my ears, my hand brushed my glasses frame and knocked the frame off the glasses. I rarely tighten the screws that hold the frames on the glasses. I didn't even attempt to find the tiny, tiny silver screw on the gray asphalt street and resigned myself that it was lost. To my surprise, my glasses did a very good job staying on my face with one of the frames missing and they were able to stay in the right spot so that I could see clearly around myself. I expected them to drift down my nose or hang crookedly on my face so that one or both eyes was always out of focus.

But the start of the festival didn't look good. Were my troubles with getting in and having my glasses fall apart omens to how the rest of the festival was going to be?

Thankfully no.


Later in the day Marla and I caught The Rapture's show. They were amazing and the crowd was really into them. I was already a fan of the band but became even more of a fan afterwards. Marla commented that they were her new favorite band. I'd put their show in the Top 3 of shows I saw over the 3 days of the fest.


Another show that was in my Top 3 was later that first day. It was the Daft Punk show, which ended Day 1. Marla and I were relatively close to the stage, which was curtained off with a black curtain to hide the stage set-up for the show. Their show was, for a lack of a better word, amazing. Everything that they could have done to make their music show-worthy for an outdoor concert was done.

Light show. Check.
Mixing their own music so songs are on top of other songs so that it's not just like the songs are on the CDs. Check.
Cool stage set-up. Check.

I was worried before the show if I'd be entertained but those doubts were erased during the show. They BROUGHT it. Sure, it could have been all pre-recorded stuff, already pre-mixed, and they guys in the robot suits could have been some random actors and not the actual real two French guys that make up Daft Punk. But I have faith that it was the real guys and that they were mixing their songs in person.

Well done Day 1; you rocked my world.

No comments: