Sunday, August 19, 2007

Lollapalooza - Day 2

I'm From Barcelona 8
I woke up later than I wanted on this Saturday (check out Day 4 of Challenge for that info) and getting up and going down to Grant Park felt like having to go and clock-in to work on time. Saturday and Sunday really felt like this festival become my job. The first band I got to see was this band that I heard had 29 people in it. It's a Swedish band called "I'm From Barcelona" and on this day they had 20 people on stage. One of which was dressed up in a bear costume. They seemed to be genuinely happy to be at the festival and their enthusiams was contagious. Their songs were pop-y and cute.

Bess & Her Brother
After that I checked out a little bit of the for-kids band The Sippy Cups before tracking down my friend Bess at Tapes 'n Tapes. I thought Tapes 'n Tapes had an okay show. Then it was on to Stephen Marley. I'm not that into Regae but those that I could tell loved that type of music were having a great time during the show. I listened to a bit of STS9 before walking to the other side of the festival to get a spot close to the stage for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. I like this band but the reason I went to them early was so that after their show I was hoping to get an even closer spot for the next band on that stage - the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. But it seemed that everyone that was in front of me had the same idea.

YYY 6
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah were okay but the show made me kind of dislike the lead singer. His mic volume wasn't high enough either, so that was a little frustrating. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs had a freakin' amazing show and I loved it. They really brought it and I think this was my favorite show of the festival. Things got rough though in the crowd on their last song. It became sardine-ville and after their set people were pushing in, trying to get extra close for the next band on that stage, Muse. I was packed in so much it became a little hard to breathe and it reminded me of those soccer games in Eurpose where people get crushed to death by the shear volume of the crowd. I was right next to the barrier for the AV aisle (it ran between the stage and the AV tent) and because I figured getting out of the super tight crowd would have taken around 30 minutes, I had a security guard pull me over the barrier so that I could get out. Once free I was able to breahe easier.

I had a 10:30pm show at iO so I checked out a little bit of Patti Smith before eventually leaving the festival.

No comments: